Dear ThinkWell community,
The COVID-19 pandemic has rattled health systems and upended people’s lives around the globe. As the virus spreads into countries where we work, ThinkWell has mobilized to support COVID-19 response efforts. At the same time, we are dedicated to protecting our team’s safety and reducing the virus’s spread.
In collaboration with local and global officials, our experts are helping to not only flatten the curve, but move the needle on this global challenge. This work includes:
- In Kenya, we are supporting the Council of Governors’ Health Committee to develop cross-sectoral COVID-19 preparedness and response strategies to ensure that essential supplies are available in health facilities, health workers are properly trained, and health facilities have sufficient financial resources. We’re also working to safeguard COVID-19-related economic impacts on Kenya’s most vulnerable communities.
- In Philippines, we are helping the Department of Health to formulate guidelines for optimizing current and potential capacity for COVID-19 testing at sub-national labs. We are also helping to develop a telehealth program, as part of the COVID-19 response.
- In Indonesia, at the request of the vice president’s office, we are supporting a hospital medical supply assessment for COVID-19 high-risk areas, collating public hospital payment and liability data, and liaising with private medical suppliers to inform government response efforts. We are also developing a patient screening and treatment flow diagram as part of a COVID-19 public awareness campaign. Finally, one of ThinkWell’s Indonesian health experts has appeared on CNN Indonesia to discuss the pandemic.
- In Mozambique, the minister of health asked us to help develop a budget request for their COVID-19 response. We are also participating in two COVID-19 national task forces.
- In Bangladesh, we are helping the Asian Development Bank to prepare a $550 million loan to help with the COVID-19 response.
- Globally, we are:
- Supporting an initiative that brings together industry, governments, and multilateral organizations to develop financing and affordability options for potential COVID-19 vaccines and treatments
- Helping the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) to develop selection criteria for small and medium enterprises with potential solutions for COVID-19 and other infectious diseases, as part of the 2020-2021 Growth Stage Impact Ventures for SDGs platform
- Mapping how innovative finance mechanisms, including impact bonds, can strengthen health systems to respond to future outbreaks, under a contract with a European bilateral for the G20 meeting in November 2020
- Analyzing potential cost implications of conducting immunization campaigns during COVID-19 to guide donor policymaking
As COVID-19 tests the resilience of health systems, health workers, and communities around the world, ThinkWell remains committed to our vision of achieving long-lasting improvements in health and well-being.
I’m proud and humbled by our teams and all others who are working tirelessly to tackle this crisis. Thank you to everyone who is taking a stand—from individuals who are simply staying home to health workers who are risking their lives on the front lines.
Founder and CEO